Passport Photo Requirements for ATF Form 1, ATF eForm 1, ATF Form 4 Applicationsby National Gun Trusts
The ATF Form 1, ATF Form 4 and the ATF Form 5 require you to submit physical passport photos into the ATF with your ATF Application for each responsible person in your application. For the ATF eForm 1 application you will submit a digital passport style photo in the eForm system. Below are the passport photo requirements per the State Department. The ATF uses the State Department's passport photo specifications for the passport photos that you will include with your ATF application. We also provide passport photo printing services to ensure your passport photo will be accepted by the ATF. The below information is cited from the State Department website.†
- Submit a color photo, taken in last 6 months
- Use a clear image of your face. Do not use filters commonly used on social media.
- Have someone else take your photo. No selfies.
- Take off your eyeglasses for your photo.
- Use a plain white or off-white background
Resolution, Print Size, and Quality
- Submit a high resolution photo that is not blurry, grainy, or pixelated.
- The correct size of a passport photo is:
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm)
- Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
- Do not digitally change the photo
- You cannot submit a damaged photo with holes, creases, or smudges.
Pose and Expression
- Have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.
- Face the camera directly with full face in view.
- You cannot wear glasses.
- If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with application.
- Taken in clothing normally worn on a daily basis.
- You cannot wear a uniform, clothing that looks like a uniform, or camouflage attire.
- You cannot wear a hat or head covering.
- If you wear a hat or head covering for religious purposes, submit a signed statement that verifies that the hat or head covering in your photo is part of traditional religious attire worn continuously in public.
- If you wear a hat or head covering for medical purposes, submit a signed doctor's statement verifying the hat or head covering in your photo is used daily for medical purposes.
- Your full face must be visible and your hat or head covering cannot obscure your hairline or cast shadows on your face.
- You cannot wear headphones or wireless hands-free devices.
- You can wear jewelry and keep on your facial piercings as long as they do not hide your face. Permanent tattoos are acceptable for passport purposes as well.
The above information is cited from the State Department:
†“Passport Photos.” U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of State, travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/photos.html
Other NFA Gun Trust and ATF Related Blog Posts
Does Question 13. "Transferee Necessity Statement" on the ATF Form 4 Need to Be Filled Out for a Silencer?
When you are applying for a tax stamp using the ATF Form 4 paperwork, the ATF Form 4 paperwork states the following p...
Requesting Replacement Copies of NFA Tax Paid Transfer Stamps and Forms
Please make sure your request for copies includes the following information: Your name, current address, reason for ...
What is the Barrel Length of a Silencer for the ATF Form 1, ATF Form 4, or ATF Form 5?
Whether you are applying for a tax stamp to build your own silencer using the ATF eForm 1/ATF Form 1 or you are trans...