Age Requirements for Silencers and Suppressorsby National Gun Trusts
According to American Suppressor Association, the ATF rules dictate that you must be at least 21 years of age to purchase a suppressor from a dealer. Conversely, you only need to be 18 to purchase a suppressor if you are transferring the suppressor from an individual. Lastly, you must be 18 years of age to possess the suppressor if you are a beneficiary to a gun trust.
SUPPRESSOR LEGALITY AND OWNERSHIP
Suppressors are regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934, which falls under the purview of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). To legally purchase or possess a suppressor you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age to purchase a suppressor from a dealer.
- Be at least 18 years of age to purchase a suppressor from an individual on a Form 4 to Form 4 transfer (contingent on state laws).
- Be at least 18 years of age to possess a suppressor as a beneficiary of a trust or as a member of a corporation (contingent on state laws).
- Be a resident of the United States.
- Be legally eligible to purchase a firearm.
- Pass a BATFE background check with a typical process time of 8 to 10 months.
- Pay a one time $200 Transfer Tax.
- Reside in one of the 42 states that currently allows civilian ownership of suppressors.
“SUPPORT THE HEARING PROTECTION ACT.” American Suppressor Association, americansuppressorassociation.com/education/.
Other NFA Gun Trust and ATF Related Blog Posts
ATF Form's Showing "X" in boxes where Signatures Are Required
When creating your ATF Paperwork digitally, the ATF paperwork can be picky. You need to use Adobe Acrobat products t...
Payment Methods Accepted by the ATF for the ATF Form 1, ATF eForm 1 and the ATF Form 4
When you are applying for your tax stamp, you will be required to pay $200 to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearm...
Individual to Individual/Gun Trust - Out of State NFA Firearm Transfer
NFA Firearms can't be transferred privately from state to state. A SOT dealer has to be involved with that transfer ...