Age Requirements for Silencers and Suppressorsby National Gun Trusts
According to American Suppressor Association, the ATF rules dictate that you must be at least 21 years of age to purchase a suppressor from a dealer. Conversely, you only need to be 18 to purchase a suppressor if you are transferring the suppressor from an individual. Lastly, you must be 18 years of age to possess the suppressor if you are a beneficiary to a gun trust.
SUPPRESSOR LEGALITY AND OWNERSHIP
Suppressors are regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934, which falls under the purview of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). To legally purchase or possess a suppressor you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age to purchase a suppressor from a dealer.
- Be at least 18 years of age to purchase a suppressor from an individual on a Form 4 to Form 4 transfer (contingent on state laws).
- Be at least 18 years of age to possess a suppressor as a beneficiary of a trust or as a member of a corporation (contingent on state laws).
- Be a resident of the United States.
- Be legally eligible to purchase a firearm.
- Pass a BATFE background check with a typical process time of 8 to 10 months.
- Pay a one time $200 Transfer Tax.
- Reside in one of the 42 states that currently allows civilian ownership of suppressors.
“SUPPORT THE HEARING PROTECTION ACT.” American Suppressor Association, americansuppressorassociation.com/education/.
Other NFA Gun Trust and ATF Related Blog Posts
What is the Barrel Length of a Silencer for the ATF Form 1, ATF Form 4, or ATF Form 5?
Whether you are applying for a tax stamp to build your own silencer using the ATF eForm 1/ATF Form 1 or you are trans...
Do you Need a Color Passport Photo for Your ATF Applications?
When you apply for a tax stamp with an ATF application as individual, as a gun trust or as an entity you are required...
NFA Processing Times - Current As of June, 30 2019
Below are the most current released statistical information that has been gathered by the ATF for NFA approval times....