Age Requirements for Silencers and Suppressorsby National Gun Trusts
According to American Suppressor Association, the ATF rules dictate that you must be at least 21 years of age to purchase a suppressor from a dealer. Conversely, you only need to be 18 to purchase a suppressor if you are transferring the suppressor from an individual. Lastly, you must be 18 years of age to possess the suppressor if you are a beneficiary to a gun trust.
SUPPRESSOR LEGALITY AND OWNERSHIP
Suppressors are regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934, which falls under the purview of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). To legally purchase or possess a suppressor you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age to purchase a suppressor from a dealer.
- Be at least 18 years of age to purchase a suppressor from an individual on a Form 4 to Form 4 transfer (contingent on state laws).
- Be at least 18 years of age to possess a suppressor as a beneficiary of a trust or as a member of a corporation (contingent on state laws).
- Be a resident of the United States.
- Be legally eligible to purchase a firearm.
- Pass a BATFE background check with a typical process time of 8 to 10 months.
- Pay a one time $200 Transfer Tax.
- Reside in one of the 42 states that currently allows civilian ownership of suppressors.
“SUPPORT THE HEARING PROTECTION ACT.” American Suppressor Association, americansuppressorassociation.com/education/.
Other NFA Gun Trust and ATF Related Blog Posts
Misspelled Trust Engraving or Individual Engraving for you Silencer or SBR
After your ATF Form 1 or ATF eForm 1 firearms are approved, you will be required to engrave the gun trust information...
Changing your Name with Approved ATF Form 1, ATF eForm 1 or ATF Form 4
There are many reasons why you might be changing your name and the name that was used to apply for your ATF Form 1, A...
What Happens If You Only Send in One Fingerprint Card with Your ATF Application?
When you are applying for a tax stamp using the ATF 5320.1, ATF eForm 1, ATF 5320.4 or the ATF 5320.5, the individual...