Are there any exemptions from the making or transfer tax provisions of the NFA?by National Gun Trusts
Yes. These are noted below, along with the required form number, if any, to apply for the exemption. Completed forms must be approved by the NFA Branch prior to the making or transfer:
(1) Tax–exempt transfer and registration of a firearm between special (occupational) taxpayers: ATF Form 3.
(2) Tax–exempt making of a firearm by a qualified manufacturer, or other than by a qualified manufacturer if the firearm is made on behalf of a Federal or State agency: ATF Form 1 and Form 2. Tax–exempt transfer and registration of the firearm on behalf of a Federal or State agency: ATF Form 5.
(3) Tax–exempt transfer and registration of an unserviceable firearm which is being transferred as a curio or ornament: ATF Form 5.
(4) Tax exempt transfer of a firearm to a lawful heir: ATF Form 5.
(5) Tax–exempt transfer by operation of law (e.g., court order).
[26 U.S.C. 5851–5853; 27 CFR 479.69, 479.70 and 479.88–91]
Source ATF: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-there-any-exemptions-making-or-transfer-tax-provisions-nfa
Other NFA Gun Trust and ATF Related Blog Posts
Is the Approved ATF Form 4 that you Receive in the Mail an Original?
We were recently asked if, "the approved ATF Form 4 that you receive in the mail an original copy?" This is a great ...
Which ATF Forms and Applications Can You Fax OR EMAIL to the ATF?
The ATF requires, applications, like the ATF Form 1, ATF Form 4 and ATF Form 4 to be sent via mail and in some cases ...
What to do if your CLEO Copy/ATF Copy of ATF eForm 1 Photo is Sideways
What do you do if your CLEO Copy/ATF Copy of ATF eForm 1 Photo is Sideways when you are applying using the ATF eForm ...