Are there any exemptions from the making or transfer tax provisions of the NFA?by National Gun Trusts
Yes. These are noted below, along with the required form number, if any, to apply for the exemption. Completed forms must be approved by the NFA Branch prior to the making or transfer:
(1) Tax–exempt transfer and registration of a firearm between special (occupational) taxpayers: ATF Form 3.
(2) Tax–exempt making of a firearm by a qualified manufacturer, or other than by a qualified manufacturer if the firearm is made on behalf of a Federal or State agency: ATF Form 1 and Form 2. Tax–exempt transfer and registration of the firearm on behalf of a Federal or State agency: ATF Form 5.
(3) Tax–exempt transfer and registration of an unserviceable firearm which is being transferred as a curio or ornament: ATF Form 5.
(4) Tax exempt transfer of a firearm to a lawful heir: ATF Form 5.
(5) Tax–exempt transfer by operation of law (e.g., court order).
[26 U.S.C. 5851–5853; 27 CFR 479.69, 479.70 and 479.88–91]
Source ATF: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-there-any-exemptions-making-or-transfer-tax-provisions-nfa
Other NFA Gun Trust and ATF Related Blog Posts
ATF eForm 1 Approved Tax Stamp is not Visible on Phone Error
When your ATF eForm 1 tax stamp is approved by the ATF, you will be informed via email. The ATF will attach your app...
ATF eForm 1 Box 4j is Unchecked on approved ATF eForm 1
When applying for an ATF eForm 1 tax stamp you may notice that Box 4j. is unchecked if you use the ATF eForm 1 applic...
Do ATF Form 1, ATF Form 4 or ATF Form 5 Paperwork need to be printed Double-sided?
The ATF doesn't require applicants to print the ATF Form 1, ATF Form 4 or ATF Form 5 paperwork double-sided. Applica...