Are there any exemptions from the making or transfer tax provisions of the NFA?by National Gun Trusts
Yes. These are noted below, along with the required form number, if any, to apply for the exemption. Completed forms must be approved by the NFA Branch prior to the making or transfer:
(1) Tax–exempt transfer and registration of a firearm between special (occupational) taxpayers: ATF Form 3.
(2) Tax–exempt making of a firearm by a qualified manufacturer, or other than by a qualified manufacturer if the firearm is made on behalf of a Federal or State agency: ATF Form 1 and Form 2. Tax–exempt transfer and registration of the firearm on behalf of a Federal or State agency: ATF Form 5.
(3) Tax–exempt transfer and registration of an unserviceable firearm which is being transferred as a curio or ornament: ATF Form 5.
(4) Tax exempt transfer of a firearm to a lawful heir: ATF Form 5.
(5) Tax–exempt transfer by operation of law (e.g., court order).
[26 U.S.C. 5851–5853; 27 CFR 479.69, 479.70 and 479.88–91]
Source ATF: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-there-any-exemptions-making-or-transfer-tax-provisions-nfa
Other NFA Gun Trust and ATF Related Blog Posts
Passport Photo Requirements for ATF Form 1, ATF eForm 1, ATF Form 4 Applications
The ATF Form 1, ATF Form 4 and the ATF Form 5 require you to submit physical passport photos into the ATF with your A...
Making Corrections to your ATF Paperwork - Initial and Date the changes
Before you submit your ATF Form 1, ATF Form 4, ATF Form 5, ATF 5320.23 you should always review your form to ensure t...
Texas State NFA Rules and Allowable NFA Items
Texas is a state that generally respects the right of gun owners to own all types of firearms, including NFA weapons....