Changing FFL Dealers During a Pending ATF Form 1, ATF eForm 1, ATF Form 4 or ATF Form 5

We recently saw a post from Reddit on the/r/NFA subreddit asking what the process is if you want to change FFL dealers during a pending ATF application.  If for any reason you decide or want to change FFL dealers with your pending ATF application, you can do so.  But some thought will need to be put into this decision.  We say that because if you want to switch FFL dealers with your pending ATF application, you will need to cancel your pending application.  After your pending application is canceled your current FFL dealer can use the ATF Form 3 to transfer the firearm to the FFL of your choice.  Once that has taken place, you will be able to then reapply for your ATF tax stamp.  Your $200 tax stamp payment for your canceled application will be returned to you from the ATF.  You can change FFL's with a pending application, but it is worth noting that you are essentially going to restart your application and the wait that comes with your application.  This means if your application is 5 months in and you cancel your pending application, you will then restart your wait time with the new application. Be mindful that for the ATF Form 1 and ATF Form 4 that wait time can vary from 7 to 12 months and in cases extend past that.

Other NFA Gun Trust and ATF Related Blog Posts