If an individual is changing their state of residence, and their application to transport the NFA firearm cannot be approved because of a prohibition in the new state, what options does a lawful possessor have?

In this situation, the individual's NFA firearms may be left in a safe deposit box in their former state of residence. The firearm could also be left or stored in the former state of residence at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key. The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location.

The firearms may also be transferred in accordance with National Firearms Act (NFA) regulations or abandoned to ATF.

“Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.” If an Individual Is Changing Their State of Residence, and Their Application to Transport the NFA Firearm Cannot Be Approved Because of a Prohibition in the New State, What Options Does a Lawful Possessor Have? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 6 Feb. 2020, www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/if-individual-changing-their-state-residence-and-their-application-transport-nfa-firearm.

Other NFA Gun Trust and ATF Related Blog Posts