ATF Form 5320.23 - Responsible Person Questionnaire Walk-Through Guide
How to guide and walk-through guide for the ATF Form 5320.23 – ATF 5320.23 Responsible Person Questionnaire
In order to legally obtain a class 3/title 2 weapon, you will need to fill out the ATF Form 5320.23 form and other paperwork. In this article we discuss the process of filling out the Form 5320.23. This form is to be used in conjunction with the ATF 5320.1 Application to Make and Register a Firearm Form, ATF 5320.4 Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm Form, or the ATF 5320.5 Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm Form and is only to be used when registering a NFA firearm with a NFA Gun Trust or as a legal entity/corporation. If you are filing for ATF Tax Stamp as an individual, then you will not need to fill out this form. These questions will be addressed on the ATF Form 1 5320.1, ATF Form 4 5320.4, or the ATF Form 5 5320.5 that you are filling out.
You can download the original Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives ATF Form 5320.23 and our example filled out form below.
Document Download Links Below:
Any applications for a Form 1, Form 4, or Form 5 postmarked on or after July 13, 2016 must also include Fingerprint cards and pictures. The following CLEO notification must also be completed. The first 2 pages are sent to the ATF and the second copy without the picture and serial number are sent to the local CLEO.
Note: The below walk-through guide is for the September, 2019 update of the ATF 5320.23 form and is the most current ATF 5320.23 form.
Step by Step Walk-Through Guide for the ATF Form 5320.23 Responsible Person Questionnaire. Commonly referred to ATF Form 23.
Start of the ATF Form 23 Application - Page 1
VIDEO REFERENCES FOR PAGE 1
|ATF Form 1 - Page 1 - Gun Trust Applicant|
2. Name and Address of Applicant or Transferee. Enter the Trust Name and address from the Form 1, 4, or 5.
3a. Name and Home Address of Responsible Person. Your name and home address goes here.
3b. Telephone. Your telephone number goes here.
3c. Email Address. Your email address goes here.
3d. Other names used. Any other aliases that you use.
3e. Photograph. 2x2 photograph is affixed here with tape. Do not staple.
4a. Type of Firearm. This is the type of firearm you are applying for: Short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, silencer, machine gun, AOW, destructive device.
4b. Name and Address of Maker, Manufacturer and/or Importer of Firearm. This is the manufactures name and address or importer if applicable of the NFA firearm you are registering.
4c. Firearm Model. This is the model of the NFA firearm you are registering.
4d. Caliber or Gauge. This is the caliber or gauge of the NFA firearm you are registering. Do not use slang here. Use .223 cal or 5.56 MM. Do not use .338 Lapua. Correct way would be .338 cal. If you are registering a Sear, multi is no longer acceptable. Use N/A for a Sear. Note: Multi-cal is not an acceptable caliber. You will need designate a specific caliber.
5. Social Security Number (See instructions 3C). This is your social security number. This box is not required to be filled out. Instructions 3C state: "Social Security Number and UPIN. The Social Security number and UPIN are not required. However, this information assists with the efficient completion of the NICS background check. Please be aware that refusal to provide this information may result in a delay in the NICS background check process."
5. Date of Birth. This is your date of birth.
6a. Ethnicity. This is your ethnicity. Options are: "Hispanic or Latino" or "Not Hispanic or Latino".
6b. Race. This is your race. Options are: "American Indian or Alaska Native", "Asian", "Black or African American", "Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander", or "White".
7. Law Enforcement Notification. You will need to find out who the CLEO (chief law enforcement officer) for your county and enter their departments name, name and title of the official and the agency or department's address.
End of the ATF Form 23 Application - Page 1
VIDEO REFERENCES FOR PAGE 2
|ATF Form 23 - Page 2 - Gun Trust Applicant|
8a - 8h. Responsible Person's Questions. These answers will very and similar to the ATF Form 4473 questions.
9a. Country of Citizenship. This is your country of citizenship. Options are: "United States of America" or "Other Country/Countries." If you select the "Other Country/Countries" box, you are expected to specify what your country/countries of citizenship is/are.
9b. State of Birth. This is state that you were born in. If you were born outside of the United States of America, you can leave this box blank.
9c. Country of Birth. This is the country that you were born in and might be different than question 9a.
9d - 10. Responsible Person's Questions. These questions are similar to the ATF Form 4473 questions. You will need to answer yes or no to these questions.
11. Unique Personal Identification Number (See instructions 3C). This is your Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN). If you don't have a UPIN, select "No" for this question. If you have a UPIN, you will select the "Yes" box, but you aren't required to enter that number. Instructions 3C state: "Social Security Number and UPIN. The Social Security number and UPIN are not required. However, this information assists with the efficient completion of the NICS background check. Please be aware that refusal to provide this information may result in a delay in the NICS background check process."
"12". Certification. The individual or settlor of the trust name goes here. If purchasing with a NFA Gun trust, you will write the name of the settlor and trustee after that, i.e. Mike Smith, Trustee.
End of the ATF Form 23 Application - "CLEO COPY" contain the same questions as above.
If you used the fillable form from above your information that you filled out will propagate through the form.
The ATF Form 5320.23 - Responsible Person Questionnaire paperwork requires you to submit fingerprint cards. You can buy the FBI Form FD-258's Paper Fingerprinting Packet Here.
The ATF Form 5320.23 - Responsible Person Questionnaire form is to be used in conjunction with the ATF Form 1, ATF Form 4, and the ATF Form 5, if you are applying for a tax stamp with a NFA Gun Trust. You can find our walk-through guides for these forms below.
Information located within this article is current as of June, 2018. Information located within this article is an original guide created by National Gun Trusts and not to be cited or used without the written permission of National Gun Trusts.