Oregon State NFA Rules and Allowable NFA Itemsby National Gun Trusts
Silencers, machine guns, short barreled rifles, and short barreled shotguns are all legal in Oregon as long as they are registered under the NFA. Hunting of all game with a silencer is also legal in Oregon.
Possession of NFA items:
166.210 Definitions. As used in ORS 166.250 to 166.270, 166.291 to 166.295 and 166.410 to 166.470:
(1) “Antique firearm” means: (a) Any firearm, including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system, manufactured in or before 1898; and
(b) Any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this subsection if the replica: (A) Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or (B) Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
(2) “Corrections officer” has the meaning given that term in ORS 181.610.
(3) “Firearm” means a weapon, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of powder.
(4) “Firearms silencer” means any device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a firearm.
(5) “Handgun” means any pistol or revolver using a fixed cartridge containing a propellant charge, primer and projectile, and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder.
(6) “Machine gun” means a weapon of any description by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, which is designed or modified to allow two or more shots to be fired by a single pressure on the trigger device.
(7) “Minor” means a person under 18 years of age.
(8) “Offense” has the meaning given that term in ORS 161.505.
(9) “Parole and probation officer” has the meaning given that term in ORS 181.610.
(10) “Peace officer” has the meaning given that term in ORS 133.005.
(11) “Short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle if the weapon has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
(12) “Short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun if the weapon has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
166.272 Unlawful possession of machine guns, certain short-barreled firearms and firearms silencers. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer if the person knowingly possesses any machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer.
(2) Unlawful possession of a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer is a Class B felony.
(3) A peace officer may not arrest or charge a person for violating subsection (1) of this section if the person has in the person’s immediate possession documentation showing that the machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer is registered as required under federal law.
(4) It is an affirmative defense to a charge of violating subsection (1) of this section that the machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer was registered as required under federal law.
This information is provided as a service to the public. It is NOT intended as legal advice and should never be considered as such. This information was up to date at the time of publication.
Other NFA Gun Trust and ATF Related Blog Posts
ATF eForm 1 Approved Tax Stamp is not Visible on Phone Error
When your ATF eForm 1 tax stamp is approved by the ATF, you will be informed via email. The ATF will attach your app...
ATF eForm 1 Box 4j is Unchecked on approved ATF eForm 1
When applying for an ATF eForm 1 tax stamp you may notice that Box 4j. is unchecked if you use the ATF eForm 1 applic...
Do ATF Form 1, ATF Form 4 or ATF Form 5 Paperwork need to be printed Double-sided?
The ATF doesn't require applicants to print the ATF Form 1, ATF Form 4 or ATF Form 5 paperwork double-sided. Applica...