Use Promo code GUNTRUST for 12% OFF - Our BATFE NFA Gun Trusts are on Sale!

The types of firearms that must be registered in the National Firearm Registration and Transfer Record are defined in the NFA and in 27 CFR Part 479. What are some examples?

Some examples of the types of fire- arms that must be registered are:


The frames or receivers of machine-guns;

Any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting weapons into machineguns;

Any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for converting a weapon into a machinegun;

Any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be as- sembled if the parts are in the pos- session or under the control of a person;

Silencers and any part designed and intended for fabricating a silencer;

Short-barreled rifles; Short-barreled shotguns; Destructive devices; and, "Any other weapon."

A few examples of destructive devices are:

Molotov cocktails; Anti-tank guns (over caliber .50); Bazookas; and, Mortars.

A few examples of "any other weapon" are:

H&R Handyguns; Ithaca Auto-Burglar guns; Cane guns; and, Gadget-type firearms and "pen" guns which fire a projectile by the action of an explosive.


Other NFA Gun Trust and ATF Related Blog Posts

  • Can you Prefill out an ATF Form 5 for your Heir(s)?

    The ATF 5320.5 Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of Firearm can be used to transfer NFA firearms tax exempt to heirs, when the owner of the NFA firearms pass away.  An heir, an e...

  • How to Get a Tax Stamp for Your Silencer Guide

    Whether you are making your own silencer using the ATF Form 1 / ATF eForm 1 or purchasing an already manufactured silencer using the ATF Form 4, you will need to apply for a tax stamp in order to m...

  • Does your gun trust need to have a physcial address?

    Your gun trust doesn't need to have a physical address.  When applying for your tax stamp, you will need to supply an address of the trust.  The address of the trust is usually the address of the s...